1968 Burger Flush Deck Cruiser
Yacht price :
"Mandalay II" is one of the classic Sparkman and Stephens designs produced by Burger between 1961 and 1977. She is easily driven by her twin 8V71N GM diesels and performs well at displacement speeds but also has the capability of getting up and running at 14-15 knots. A fine entry and flared bow give her smooth and dry operation in most sea conditions and fully updated Quantum stabilizers make the ride comfortable in a beam sea. Fuel burn is about 1 NM./ gallon diesel at 10 knot cruise (hull speed).
Some years ago "Mandalay II" (ex "Lady Katy" ex "Medora" ex "Little Princess" ex "Sunshine" ex "Lady Katie") was properly refit to modern day specs by a former owner with long experience in the Burger tradition.
- Flush Deck Cruiser
- Fort Pierce, FL, US
- Available for sale in U.S. waters:
- Vessel Name:
- Mandalay II
- Boat Type:
- Motor Yacht
- Hull Material:
- Hull Type:
- Hull Color:
- Sparkman and Stephens
- Flag of Registry:
Dimensions & Weight
- 64 ft - 19.51 meter
- 64 ft - 19.51 meter
- 16 ft - 4.88 meter
- Draft - max:
- 4 ft 2 in - 1.27 meter
- Bridge Clearance:
- 17 ft 10 in - 5.43 meter
- Dry Weight:
- Detroit Diesel
- 8-71 N
- Cruise Speed:
- 12 MPH
- Joystick Control:
- Engine Type:
- Drive Type:
- Direct Drive
- Fuel Type:
- 350 (Individual), 700 (combined)
- Max Speed:
- Fuel Tank:
- 1100 gallons - 3 tank(s)
- Fresh Water Tank:
- 500 gallons - 1 tank(s)
- Holding Tank:
- 50 gallons - 1 tank(s)
- Total Cabins:
- Total Berths:
- Total Sleeps:
- Total Heads:
- Captains Cabin:
- Crew Cabins:
- Crew Berths:
- Crew Sleeps:
- Crew Heads:
"Mandalay II" sleeps 6 in 3 staterooms. There are three heads and two showers. Interior finish and joinery are the original 1968 "sliced white oak" lovingly refinished and maintained since new. Updates and additions have been executed brilliantly to match perfectly.
Main saloon is below forward. The entertainment center, television, stereo equipment, and drawer storage are built into the aft bulkhead of the saloon. Saloon furnishings include a sofa, two upholstered chairs, cocktail table and one end table.
- Flat screen TV
- Onkyo audio receiver
- Onkyo disc changer
- ? 12 volt digital tv signal booster system
- Seatel Satellite Television system (not proven)
- Onkyo Generation 3 receiver, AM/FM stereo with speakers in four areas of the yacht.
- Newer wifi smart DVD player, cable, and fire stick drive this TV.
The owner's stateroom is fully aft but separated from the transom by a working lazarette for access to steering gear, engine starting batteries, and substantial storage. Access to the lazarette is from the aft deck salon by way of a large deck hatch and ladder down.
This stateroom is full width with ensuite head and shower. The king sized berth is athwart ships to port with two night stands and built-in drawers underneath the bed. Bureau opposite to starboard. Full length hanging closet is across the stern .
There are opening ports to port and starboard, a DVD player, built in safe, and a smart flat screen television.
Forward to port from the master is the twin berth guest stateroom with bureau between the berths and a hanging closet. Across the hall from the stateroom is the guest head and stall shower. (shower shared with owners head). There is another TV and DVD.
Forward from the galley is the third stateroom, suitable for either kids or crew. There are upper and lower berths to port with head and shower opposite. All the way forward is a hanging closet with watertight door access to the chain locker. The forward cabin can be accessed from the foredeck by way of a deck hatch with steps up to it from the cabin. The hatch has an insect screen.
Galley and Dinette
Forward and down several steps from the saloon is the galley and dinette area. The galley is to port with plenty of built-in cabinet storage, Corian countertops and dinette top. The stainless galley sink is under mounted and faces an opening port light to port. The new 2-door stainless refrigerator is aft and a glass topped range forward. The dinette top is surrounded by a U-shaped settee with leatherette upholstery. The galley sole is nautically finished with a cork tile flooring as with the pilothouse, crew cabin and head sole.
The Corian table top matches the galley countertops and is surrounded on three sides by the cushy upholstered settee. There opening ports outboard and upgraded halogen lighting overhead and throughout the yacht. (these are 110v powered with 24v transformers) Drawers are built-in beneath the end settees and also conveniently on the underside of the table for flatware. A surround of natural finished woodwork and custom pillows adds to the ambience.
- Newer stainless side-by-side refrigerator/freezer with ice maker
- Advantium stainless microwave oven / convection oven.
- 4 Burner Electric Cooktop
- Corian counters, back splash and dinette top
- Toaster oven
- Stainless sink and hardware
- Garbage Disposal
- Newer Hot water heater
- Either 110volt or 24volt water pumps supply filtered fresh water.
It is often said the classic Burger Cruiser was designed to carry its aft deck from one yachting venue to another as this is the most popular area of the vessel. There is a teak table (with leaf) , four chairs, love seat, and a wicker storage piece.
Surrounded by windows all around. To port and starboard are sliding glass windows from the weather rail to the headliner. Varnished teak, windowed wing doors forward give access to the side decks while across the stern are removable Isinglass curtains again from weather rail to headliner. The aft deck is teak planked as are the side and foredecks. A lazarette hatch aft provides access to steering gear, engine starting batteries, trim tab components, and spare props. The aft salon can optionally be air conditioned with two, teak enclosed, free standing units which double as serving tables. The Corian topped teak wet bar forward, equipped with a concealed washer/dryer, sink, small water heater and storage add to the elegance of this area. Updated headliner and lighting make this one of the nicest lounging decks afloat. There is also a small " free standing" bar refrigerator.
Midship on the main deck the pilothouse is fully enclosed but has large windows for full 360 degree visibility. The beautifully finished ash woodwork is a precursor to the matching woodwork below. The centered helm faces an array of engine controls and navigational electronics, overhead and set into the helm console. The center windscreen forward can be opened as can the port and starboard windows for natural ventilation or the pilothouse is fully air conditioned. Along the aft bulkhead is a red leather upholstered bench with chart drawers beneath. There is a footrest just above the chart drawers and the wide bench seat has sufficient room for 3-4 people. This is a favorite gathering spot while underway and can also serves as a pilot berth for passage making.
There is a sliding window behind the helm bench seat which opens to the aft salon. The windowed doorway to the aft deck salon flanks the bench seat slightly offset to starboard.
Electronics and Navigation
- Furuno Navnet 10.4 Color Radar ARPA chart plotter (2002/03)
- Raytheon RN 300 GPS (2002/03)
- Garmin 5212 GPS (2011) touch screen.
- Raytheon ST60 Tridata depth/speed/log (2002/03)
- Raytheon ST60 wind instrument (2002/03)
- Robertson AP22 Autopilot (2002/03) with a wired remote unit.
- Raytheon Ray 430 loudhailer
- Two Ray 220 vhf radios
- Garmin AIS unit - transmit and receive.
- ARC3000 stabilizer controls
- Kalenberg air horns and a 12volt electric horn.
- Kelvin White 6" SS compass
- Three air driven windshield wipers
- Newer Bluetooth AM/FM/CD player in pilothouse.
Deck Eqipment and Details
The teak decks lead forward to the foredeck with its wide, newer Sunbrella cushioned seating area, two teak lounge chairs and a fiberglass dock box. Newer Ideal raise/lower/free fall anchor windlass with 250 feet of ½" chain and 75 lb CQR anchor. Surrounding the vessel is the exquisite Burger signature rounded varnished teak cap rail complemented by graceful teak hand rails, aluminum bow rail, and teak molding trim around the house and hardtop. Atop the hardtop is a 13' Novurania 360 Center Console Tender with 40 hp Honda 4-stroke motor, a GPS and depth finder. Also on top is a 800lb. Marquipt electric davit, life raft, searchlight, horns, and a mast with antennae for the electronics, and spreader lights.
- Viking 6-person life raft (2018)
- Swim platform and ladder
- Foredeck anchor davit
- Foredeck fresh water wash down assy.
- Marquipt Tide Rise boarding stairs
- Fenders and dock lines to include extra long "hurricane tie off lines"
- Life vests, distress flares, first aid kits.
- Exterior covers
Engine and Mechanical Details
The Engine Room is beneath the main salon and enclosed by two watertight bulkheads. Access is through the watertight doorway from the galley and also, for major access, three removable deck hatches built into the salon floor. Although not a full stand-up engine room, there is excellent access to all equipment between, outboard, and fore and aft of the engines. Engine room lighting is both AC and DC, with full sized florescent lighting overhead. Engines, including generator, transmissions, and oil are fresh water cooled.
- T-871 GM 350 HP Diesels with reported under 2,500 hours since 2008 major overhaul
- llison M20 marine gears; 2:1 ratio
- Glendenning synchronizer
- Quantum stabilizers (2003) Complete refurbishing of stabilizer system (2011)
- 12 volt Ideal vertical windlass and 75.C.Q.R. anchor (2003)
- Marquipt davit, 800 lb lifting capacity (2003)
- Two spare propellers
- New shafts and muff couplings (2003)New cutlass bearings (2011) New seals (2020)
- Three automatic bilge pumps 32 volt - one bilge pump manifolded to two compartments
- Bilge alarm system
- New Engine alarm systems to include engine oil, water temperature, transmission oil, exhaust temperature.
- Sea Land vacuum flush fresh water heads
- Holding tank / fresh water gauges
- Trim tabs ( not proven)
- Oil changing system - engine and transmission.
- Fuel (per engine) is filtered by two primary Racors filters with a secondary filter
- Racor fuel alarms
- Fuel manifold with a primer / sampling hand pump.
- Sound down noise and vibration suppressing system in engine room.
- Fire extinguishing system FE-124 auto / manual
- Dry chemical hand extinguishers
- Updated electrical panels
- 1-1/2 hp Craftsman air compressor
- Cruisair air conditioning, total 104,000 BTU reverse cycle heat (several)
- Two aft deck units of 28,000 BTU each
- Air conditioning pump rebuilt and the system acid flushed, 2011
- Northern Lights 25 kw genset with Vernalift muffler and "GenSep" for the most quiet exhaust - 2200hrs. Separate start battery and remote control unit at the helm.
- 12 and 32 v DC, 110/220 v AC system
- 10 ship's batteries with parallel shut-off.
- Engine room: main breaker panel (32v and 220v/110)
- Pilothouse: 12 volt fuse panel
- Newer Outback 32V inverter / charger
- All new solid core wiring (2002)
- Two LaMarche Isolation transformers
- Englehard corrosion monitor
- LaMarche 20 amp 32 v charger
- Newmar 10 amp 12 v charger
- New Victron 32v to 12v charger with Bluetooth control.
- Superior electric 50 amp Power Stat voltage control
- Shore power cable and selector switch, all newer, twin 50 amp foredeck connections
- Port and starboard twin updated 50 amp inlets
- Side running lights
- Exterior deck lighting
- Carlysle Finch 15" searchlight-2.8 million candle power
- Capac hull monitoring system
- Port and starboard cable TV connections
Electrically welded aluminum alloy 5806; 52 frames, 3' x ¼" on 15" centers, doubled and triples in highest areas of stress. Floors 5/16", plating ¼", heavier in areas of highest stress. Four watertight bulkheads create five watertight compartments: forepeak/chain locker; crew quarters/galley; engine room; aft staterooms; lazarette. Reported double bottom at fuel and water tank areas. Decks are solid laid teak (2002) over aluminum plate.
Lots of folders / manuals / maintenance logs and historical photos of the past refit.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
Additional Units Included
- 2002 Novurania Center Console RIB
YouTube Video jmwPlX_6I3c